Scandisk fault

MD__ 16:36 14 Jan 03
  MD__ 16:36 14 Jan 03

Mr brother had severe problems with his computer running on windows 95.
His hard drive has been re formatted and i have tried to install windows ME, however the following message comes up when running the Scandisk:
cannot read the last cluster on drive D. The cluster is either damaged or not configured properly. Drive D may need Logical Block Addressing (LBA) to work, or its disk partitions may be incorrectly marked as LBA partition.

I have tried ignoring this but when the disk surface is scanned as part of the set up it stops on 99% complete.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thank you

Diemmess 16:47 14 Jan 03

My limp suggestions are drastic and time consuming.......but bearing in mind the possibility that the HD is dying, it has been in use for 4-5 years?

Fdisk all over again..... Format each partition and hope that the sectors all pass muster.

If they do then a new installation should settle things.

webtrader 17:00 14 Jan 03

First go into bios and check that hard disk detection final part is set to LBA,if not pc will probaly not register HD over 540Mb in size. Restart using WIN98 boot disk using FDISK remove all partitions, set new primary partition and mark it active. Reboot and format hardrive with windows 98 or me bootdisk.I think this might sort you out.

MD__ 17:07 14 Jan 03

Thanks for that advice but i feel my knowledge level is way below yours. How do i get into BIOS? how do i use Fdsik to remove each sectionn as described

Diemmess 18:17 14 Jan 03

Phew!

We all have to start somewhere.

Depending on your computer, the most likely way to get in the BIOS is to press Del repeatedly at the beginning of Bootup.

Assuming you reach there, then follow MD__ advice in one of the earliest screens.
You won't have a mouse available but follow the screen prompts using ESC to go back and arrows to move around. PgUp or PgDn have their use to cycle through the alternatives.

Don't worry if you feel you have altered something you didn't understand - you can always abandon things and start again, because when backing out you have alternatives of saving or rejecting any changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for FDISK that is another story but feel happy that you have checked the BIOS first and then return here.

Diemmess 18:23 14 Jan 03

Sorry .... I meant webtrader's advice, but while I am back here you should try simply selecting Auto for the HD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…