scandisk / defrag.

Digit 12:18 25 Jun 05

Hi when I run defrag I get a message saying that it has started ten times and failed.

This also applies to Scandisk.

Any help would be appreciated; I am running widows ME

D

kaled 12:28 25 Jun 05

Some programs are running in the background. Either control/alt/delete to look at which programs you have running and end any you don't need, including screen saver or easier and quicker to run defrag from safe mode.

VoG II 12:36 25 Jun 05

Or use Diskeeper Lite click here

Digit 16:13 25 Jun 05

HI
OK I have tried safe mode and the site that was mentioned by Vog, it spotted the problem and gave the instructions to delete every thing apart from systems tray, its self, and explorer, but still no luck. I will leave it for now and thanks for your help.

D

Technotiger 16:29 25 Jun 05

Hi, I used to have ME with similar problem - run scan-disk before trying to defrag. When running scan-disk go for the 'quick-scan' option (I can't remember exact phraseology) and also check the box to 'repair errors found'.
Before running defrag, make sure you close all running processes, apart from those already mentioned above.

Good luck.

Cheers.

sattman 17:56 25 Jun 05

Unfortunately ctl/alt/del does not close down all programmes that run at start up

Go start/run type msconfig, from the start up option
untick to close one programme at a time to find which programme(s) are causing the problem.

dont forget to tick again to re-instate when completed.

For info on the utility

click here

Norton Symantec and Zone Alarm will both stop defrag on a ME system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…