bad sectors, press any key to run scandisk, done that and full dark blue
page comes up, but bar at bottom never goes past 1%, hit any key- note comes
up-- scandisk encountered a data error while reading the FAT on drive C this
error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive, if I hit any key twice
quickly the screen goes light blue and the icons come up as normal and I can
continue to do whatever I wanted to.

Any ideas?

MichelleC 14:00 06 Dec 04

If xp or w2k run error check and tick box 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. May take some time.

Gongoozler 14:02 06 Dec 04

Try Scandisk from Safe Mode, but I suspect a new hard drive may be needed soon.

ste_bla 14:15 06 Dec 04

win98 se

MichelleC 10:07 07 Dec 04

Gongoozler is right as 98 runs scandisk and defrag better in safemode, and maybe backing up data is good idea. If it does run it'll be better to run a 'thorough'. Or you can run it in DOS: First, create a Windows Startup floppy. To do this, double-click My Computer, Control Panel, and Add/Remove Programs, then click the Startup Disk tab, click Create Disk, and follow the prompts.

Second, leave the startup floppy in the drive and restart the computer. The system should boot from the floppy drive. Choose Start computer without CD-ROM support. At the DOS prompt, type Scandisk C: /Autofix and press Enter.

Gongoozler 10:38 07 Dec 04

If all else fails, then I'm afraid that you probably have no option but to reinstall Windows. If you have important files on the hard drive, then it may be worth fitting a new drive as master with the old one as slave, then after loading Windows on the new drive, the files on the old one may be accessible.

ste_bla 11:33 08 Dec 04

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…