Scandisc Problems, again!

loughlan 09:55 03 Aug 04

After a HD crash and reboot my W98se o/s worked well,even better, including Scandisc. But it now wil not finish once started. Defrag works ok. I have turned of the anti virus, and also ckecked for altered files to no avail.Scandisc works though the Win startup disc and in safe mode.
Can anyone think of what ealse I might try?

GRFT 12:19 03 Aug 04

If it works OK in Safe Mode then why bother? I always run scandisc this way because of the same problem you have. It would take ages to get up to maybe 3% then would revert 1% again .. and so on. Defrag also runs better in Safe Mode.

loughlan 14:46 04 Aug 04

Thanks you GRFT for the advise. I figgered out which program was causing the problem useing the CLOSE PROGRAM dialog box.
It turned out to be an add-on giveaway, unused, to a larger program in use. It was thus easy to delete it and return to normal working.

GRFT 15:46 04 Aug 04

That's fine then. Maybe next I have that problem I'll try and find out what's causing it. Safe mode seems the easy way out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…