scan disk in safe mode

Hacky 08:59 27 Apr 03

Hi all
Running win98se, Whilst trying to run scan disk in safe mode i keep getting the box 'scan disk has restarted due to other programs writeing in the background', or words to that effect. Can anyone tell me why i thought that safe mode would stop all this. many thanks

Gongoozler 11:04 27 Apr 03

Hi Hacky. A search in Google for the phrase "disk has restarted due to other programs writing in the background" shows that yours is not an unusual problem, and can be caused, among other things, by bad sectors on the hard drive, trojans or viruses click here.

A suggestion I found was to run Scan Disk from DOS. click here, and the following is copied from that site:

1. Click on start, shut down, and restart in MS-DOS mode.

2. Now type CD\. and then press Enter on the keyboard.

3. You will be at the dos prompt now: C:
4. Type SCANDISK, and press Enter.

5. This will start the process, and when it gets all the way through the numbers, and asked if you want to do the full surface scan, choose yes with your arrow keys, and press Enter on the keyboard. This will take a while, hours for most. Best to run this at night so it doesn't interfere with your daily computing. Just turn off the monitor, and walk away. In the morning, you can read the results, and then exit the program, and when you see your dos prompt again, C:\, then turn off your computer, and restart it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…