scan disk report!!!

0000jb0000 20:16 26 Aug 04

Hi I'm running windows 98se and at the moment seem to spend more time asking questions to fix the flippin thing rather than enjoying it!!!Last time I switched on it ran scan disk cos it said windows hadn't been closed down properly. It took about 6 hours to run!!! Report said ' Cluster 2,543 being used by \SYSBCUP\RB005.CAB file. This area of drive is damaged. So I clicked to fix. Now every time I turn on I get the black screen with a line saying ' PRI master Hard Disk : S.M.A.R.T. status BAD, Backup and Replace.' Underneath that it says 'F1 to resume' which I do then I can continue. It works ok then but still getting the message ' Explorer performed illegal op and must close. I did the repair IE thing in add/remove. But still getting this message. Someone help!!!

canard 20:34 26 Aug 04

Check IE files properties -watch out for if one has got turned into a loop- if so it will be ENORMOUS. If so do a big back up of files because it may prove irrepairable.

0000jb0000 20:52 26 Aug 04

Hi canard you'll have to give some instruction here i'm a novice what do i do???

canard 13:14 29 Aug 04

0000jb0000-sorry to be so long. Go to Windows Explore- programmes-IE and go through all the files R clicling properties. Look at the size of each file to see if one is humungous. You've tried IE repair,uninstall reinstall.Twice the looping has happened and I've had to wipe the hard drive, reinstall Windows and absolutely everything else too. If no looped files in IE and if not on WinXP try writing sfc in start- run and see what you turn up. I'm no expert in this so post anything in PCA and one of the gurus will advise you.

Dorsai 13:24 29 Aug 04

click here

What you system is trying to tell you is that the disk is looking like it is about to fail. the disks self monitoring system is picking up problems.

So do what it advises "Backup and Replace" your HDD before it stops working compleatly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…