scan disk query

0000jb0000 16:53 21 May 05

After much hassle I finally managed to run scan disk and defrag ( in total it took 24 hours!!)At the end of scan disk the results told me I had 90 odd thousand bytes in bad sectors errrr what is this, help!!! Also my McAfee virus scan expires in a little while. So which is the best security suite available. Because although the virus scan is ok, the McAfee firewall has never been able to update , I keep getting a 'Microsoft internet explorer has encountered a problem and will have to close' message, whenever I try to update.

AndySD 17:10 21 May 05

It sounds like your hard disk is failing. Time to back up all you can to cd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 21 May 05

Delete any chk files scandisk has create you can do nothing with them anyway.

Firewall ZoneAlarm click here

Antivirus
Avast4 click here
or AVG antivirus click here

Antispyware
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Spywareblaster click here

REMEMBER 1 firewall, 1 Anti virus And as much antispy as you like. The above will give you good protection for free just keep them updated.

Completealias 17:24 21 May 05

OK bad sectors on your hard drive is normally a sign that your hard drive is on the way out. I would recommend backing up all your data off the drive.

OK I use a combination of avast click here for my anti virus which is free and I use mccafee firewall as I got a free copy on a cover disk a few months back although there are free ones out there.

CA are offering a 12month free trial in conjunction with Microsoft which you can find here click here there is also a link to a 6month trial with f-secure there as well. There are also links to antispyware apps there as well which are free also.

There are a number of free firewalls out there as well so you need not pay for your security zonealarm click here

Sygate click here

Security software not updating is sometimes a sign that you have an infection on your pc so I would say as a first step scan your pc with an upto date av prog and the antispyware app which can be found on the link posted above. An online scan with trend micro can be found here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…