Scan disk probems

loopyloo 17:41 06 Dec 06

I am trying to run scan disk/ error checking on C Drive. It starts checking the files and folders but then the following blue screen comes up with a long message.
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Machine check exception.
Check to make sure any new hardware/software is properly installed etc.
Then it goes on to remove any hardware/ software and disable bios and so on.
The only hardware I've had changed is a new dvd/cdrom drive. But I don't think it could be that, could it?
The only thing I thought to do was reinstall everything with the restore disks it came with, will this solve the problem?

Snec 18:37 06 Dec 06

If it were me I'd run scan disk in safe mode before trying anything else. You could also disconnect the new drive, just to eliminate it.

Curio 19:20 06 Dec 06

Go to Start, Run, Type:
cmd /k chkdsk C:
Click OK.
3 checks will be made and you'll have a report at the end of it.
If problems are found it will not be able to do anything as the parameter has not been specfied as you will see.
So just type:
cmd /k chkdsk C: /f
Press Y and enter and this will schedule a full scan and will fix any errors.
Now to see what chkdsk has been up to click Start, Run, Type:
eventvwr
Click OK.
Click APPLICATION and look for "Winlogon" under Source. Double click it and there is your report.

loopyloo 12:49 07 Dec 06

How do you run scan disk in safe mode? Because when you set scan disk to run it has to run at the next boot up. Because eve if I go into safe mode and select scan disk to run it only will run when next boot up.

loopyloo 12:53 07 Dec 06

Hi I've also tried the infomation Curio suggested and I've put in cmd /k chkdsk C: A box comes up with the following:chdhkdsk is not a recognised as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. C:/Documents and Settings\name

Curio 18:42 07 Dec 06

I take it you are using XP. Try again using the Run box and make sure you are 100% correct with the input.

Curio 19:03 07 Dec 06

If using Windows 98, input windows 98 scandisk into a search engine to get loads of help from Microsoft and other sources.

Curio 19:05 07 Dec 06

To check if your hardware - dvd/cd drive is installed ok, check Device manager for any yellow exclamation marks or question marks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…