Scan Disk and Defragmation

Jake 15:27 09 Dec 03

When i try to use either they do not work scandisk just goes on and on for hours and defrag just stays at 2%

Jester2K II 15:29 09 Dec 03

Have you tried in Safe Mode??

ianeon 15:37 09 Dec 03

Close down all running programmes and try again - this problem has been dealt with in earlier messages

Jake 16:42 09 Dec 03

I have closed down all programmes and it still persists.
How do i do it in safe mode.

Gongoozler 16:51 09 Dec 03

If you are using a pre XP version of Windows, then Diskeeper Lite will make defragging MUCH faster and more reliable. The improvement for Windows XP isn't as dramatic. click here

ext3 16:52 09 Dec 03

Restart and tap F8 repetitively.

wee eddie 21:36 09 Dec 03

Use ext3's method to get into Safe Mode. You will have to navigate with the Arrow keys and use the carriage return to select your required option.

If you have not run a defrag for a while it could take quite a while. Like 4 hours or more!

There is a huge range of opinion as to how often you should defrag. I run it on the last Saturday of the month, whether it needs it or not. W'98 with K500 and 30gb Hdd. In just start it running and go and do something else. I no longer know how long it takes but it has usually finished before I get back.

Jake 23:22 09 Dec 03

We eddy how do i get into safe mode also i am seriously considering re installing windows 98 as this was done for me by a so called expert when i got a virus and things have never been right since then. Is it just a matter of inserting cd or has anything else got to be done. Obliged for ur views.

VoG II 23:27 09 Dec 03

AS ext3 said, to get into Safe Mode reboot and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen loads. THen select Safe Mode from the menu that appears using the arrow keys and press enter.

RE: installing 98 over XP (a) I wouldn't and (b) I don't think it is that straightforward - I think that you would have to reformat (as FAT32) then load W98.

Stuartli 08:58 10 Dec 03

Most likely you have a screensaver cutting in - whilst the defrag is running move the mouse a fraction every, say, 10 minutes if your screensaver is set to operate after 15 minutes or pro rata.

wee eddie 09:54 10 Dec 03

You really have to turn the Screen Saver off, as (I'm guessing here) the SS program itself is running and slowing the defrag. Rather than the appearance of the SS itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…