scan disk

nippy 08:59 23 Sep 03

I have a problem with scan disk just will not run I have to ctrl alt delete

not responding message

MichelleC 09:08 23 Sep 03

It's best to run scandisc and defrag in safemode so nought can interrupt.

nippy 10:10 23 Sep 03

no such luck in safe mode

MichelleC 13:36 23 Sep 03

What os r u?

woodchip 13:43 23 Sep 03

Can we get this strait, it's Scandisk. Right click on desktop/properties/screen saver click on none in the drop down box. click apply, and OK, then go to Start Run type scandisk and choose options and run..

woodchip 13:44 23 Sep 03

PS if you are Win98 you can run in safe mode or in Dos

Wak 19:51 23 Sep 03

Quite true, Woodchip, it is ScandisK and not scandisC, but if we are being pedantic about these things, then the word is STRAIGHT and not STRAIT (which is a stretch of water).
No offence intended whatsoever but the phrase about people living in glass houses springs to mind.
As long as we know what the other person means, does it really matter?

Alan Ryan 20:22 23 Sep 03

Putting Woodchip straight:
It's very rare to see a pedantic comment on a site like this. The forums of England (or should I say fora ?) are littered with mistakes in spelling, syntax, etc. I always ignore them if I'm learning something useful from the matter being discussed.

powerless 20:26 23 Sep 03

If it fails to complete in safe mode. It could mean a failing drive or one with many errors on it.

Backup data.

Wak 21:56 23 Sep 03

I wasn't putting Woodchip straight just for the sake of being pedantic. There have been many threads in this forum about bad grammar, spelling, etc. and I fully agree that it doesn't matter as long as we understand what the person is trying to say.
The reason I mentioned it (if you read all of the thread) was that Woodchip was being rather critical of the other forum posters calling it Scandisc (with a C) when it didn't really matter and then making a simple mistake himself.
There was no nastiness intended towards Woodchip and I was merely pointing out that it doesn't matter what the hell you call it as long as we are able to help the poor bloke with his problem.
If I upset or offended Woodchip, I apologise to him but I'm also certain that he would fully agree with the gist of the last sentence.

woodchip 22:10 23 Sep 03

I have alway's admitted to being a bad speller and will not steer round it. But as above if you type scandic as opposed to scadik in DOS you will soon find the difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…