Scan disc in XP???

devilsprofessor 11:06 23 Aug 03

Hey
I've tried to do a scan disc now thru the start menu. I have Win XP and it says I need to start it from fresh boot, so I restart it and still nothing!
Anyone know the magic around this??

slimzippy 11:19 23 Aug 03

I?ve had the same thing happen to me (XP pro). I don?t know of a work around, I thought it was just an intermittent Windows glitch on my machine.

The Sack 12:21 23 Aug 03

You did click on yes when it asked you if you would like to have it check the disc at the next boot? i am not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but it is easy to click no at this point.

devilsprofessor 12:52 23 Aug 03

Ok i got into my computer >right click c drive> properties > tools> scan disk

then when I click run it says

"the disc check could not be performed becuase the disc check unitly needs exculsive access to some windows files on the disc. These files can only be accessed by restarting window. Do you want to schedual this disc check next time you restart the computer"

that any help guys?

hugh-265156 12:58 23 Aug 03

programs loading with windows can stop chkdsk from running.

start/run and type msconfig and click start up untick all the boxes except your av and firewall and restart the computer.

now try running the disc check.

hugh-265156 13:00 23 Aug 03

i just re read your last devilsprofessor sorry,forget about msconfig.yes just click ok and the next restart it will run ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…