scan disc freeze

thepintoflager 19:12 09 Jun 03

everytime i scan disc the com freezes can any one help

Jomi 19:17 09 Jun 03

Then defrag.

wee eddie 19:19 09 Jun 03

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode.

How long since you last did it.

Allow a couple of hours if you have a drive over 5Gb or haven't done it for 6 months or more.

If you have already been down these routes.

Post again, with the basic details of the PC you are running, operating system, etc

wee eddie 19:21 09 Jun 03

Scan disk - First

Defrag - Second

TommyRed 20:47 09 Jun 03

I had a similar problem. It was resolved by either disabling the screensaver or closing all running programs with ctrl, alt & del (except explorer and systray). It has something to do with screensaver/program writing to something and interupting the scandisk. Mine used to report an error saying it had been running 10 times and now it had enough and was offski, or something like that. Hope this helps
TR

wee eddie 20:52 09 Jun 03

Screensaver, just set it to none.

Turn off any other time related items. energy savers etc. Their clocks interupt the program, even in safe Mode.

David-232113 13:25 22 Jun 03

Every time I start up my computer it runs a scan disc routine. Can anyone advise me how to stop this so that I can run scan disc only when I want to?

wee eddie 14:30 22 Jun 03

The Scan disk routine usually runs when the computer hasn't been closed down with the required routine. Windows is a bit picky that way!

Before reposting, have a look at your method of closing down and if it varies from the advised routine try the said routine and see what happens.

If you still have the problem. - post again with system details - operating system - et cetera

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…