Scan B/W Negatives?

Legslip 10:44 25 Nov 07

My friend has a collection of over 400 2 and a 1/4 inch square negatives taken years ago with a poliflex camera. What is the best way to convert them to B/W prints? i.e scanner, software, process etc?

BBW 11:33 25 Nov 07

On a recent course I did, we needed to do this with a scanner which had no negative scanning facilities. We placed a white sheet behind the negative, and scanned. Then converted it to a positive. On my own scanner, with 35mm facilities, I scan one half then the other, then stich them together. But with 400 to do, that is not an option! to time consuming.

pj123 12:15 25 Nov 07

My Epson 3170 Photo scanner accepts 35mm, 2-1/4 square and 6 x 9 negatives and also Transparencies.

Been superceded now but plenty of other Epson scanners have the same facitities.

click here

Also check out eBay.

Demora 12:23 25 Nov 07

On My Canon scanner I have to take out a white sheet and there is a small mirror under the sheet. So I'm thinking that making a card template for the negatives and the use of a mirror MIGHT make a cheap substitute for a new scanner.

I haven't tried my idea, but I have used the canons negative scanning and I had a really good photo from a slide.

D

the hick 12:36 25 Nov 07

It may be possible to construct a device to support the negs. in some type of frame on the lens filter mount of a digital SLR, should you have access to suh a camera. In days of film, Pentax, and probably others, made something similar to copy slides direct to film. I do know that it is possible to take digital images of larger glass plate negatives, about 4.5 by 3 inch, in this way. Digi. cameras can usually focus close, with hopefully not too much 'pincushion' distortion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…