Scan 35mm Slides?

jimmer409? 08:18 02 Aug 03

Understand that some new scanners now come with an adaptor to scan 35mm slides, I have a Canon Lide30 which dosen't have the adaptor, does anyone know of a way to scan slides on a standard scanner, help appreciated.

Stuartli 09:03 02 Aug 03

You really need a dedicated film scanner - film negatives have far, far superior resolution to digital images and such benefits would be mostly lost using an ordinary scanner.

Smiler 11:26 02 Aug 03

I agree with Stuartli either a dedicated film scanner or the Canoscan 9900F click here
Costs about £290

woody 11:35 02 Aug 03

I have scanned hundreds of slides and do agree you do end up with a poorer product (can most people tell the diff)- but what do you intend to use the final product for?
If it is for comp or web it is still much too good for such work and has to be reduced.

-pops- 12:16 02 Aug 03

A friend uses this click here& and finds it excellent.

big nose 12:24 02 Aug 03

the quality of a scan from a conventional flat bed scanner will be fairly poor and will not do justice to the extra edge in quality that slide film gives over convebtional 35mm film. There are two options you could consider :
1. Either buy a dedicted film and slide scanner ( about£300 and upwards )
2 or send off your slides to a pro lab who can scan in your slides and send you the results on a disk. This will be of pro quality and fairly reasonably priced

Stuartli 15:56 02 Aug 03

You can buy Minolta film scanners from outlets such as click here from between £190 and £240; when available they are listed in ads or its monthly flyer.

Jessops also sells its own branded film scanner and other makes.

mikef. 16:51 02 Aug 03

As others have said a dedicated film scanner is better one can be found here click here also see this thread click here

Stuartli 00:19 03 Aug 03

Your film scanner link is interesting, particularly price wise, but a film scanner from a major Japanese camera manufacturer would deliver even higher resolution.

Wak 10:22 03 Aug 03

To make a box for use with a standard scanner and 35mm slides, have a look at click here

It makes a light-reflecting equilateral triangular box which reflects the light down through the slide.
A cheap alternative and well worth a try.

Smiler 11:06 03 Aug 03

I think the link above may be confusing try this instead click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…