Scam worry need urgent advice.

GM87 13:47 09 Apr 15

Hello, yesterday i got a phone call telling me they were from talktalk and there were problems with my router sending me error's that they were recieving. They then showed me on my laptop using event viewer then got me to download team viewer and tightvnc and told me i could get a refund and a new router would be sent to me. A "technican" then took control of my laptop and they saw me put in my bank details and tried go get me to send money with western union, thankfully my bank refused the transaction (they told me they sent £200 as a refund but sent £500 and i had to send £300 back). I was then told to hang up and phone western union and was given details through notepad on who to send it to. I then quickly hung up and switched my laptop off, phoned my bank and cancelled my card, luckily no money had been taken.

I have since uninstalled team viewer and tightvnc and have run a scan with norton, anti-malware bytes and microsoft security essentials with scanner, some malware was found and removed. There doesn't seem to be any problems with my laptop but i feel worried still. I can't do a system restore since my restore points were deleted when i ran tuneup utilities and i haven't done a backup lately so i'll lose alot of pictures/video's etc. I've changed some passwords and turned off remote viewer. Would all this be enough or should i buy a new laptop? I feel so stupid, usually i'm very careful but have had some personal problems the last few week's so i wasn't thinking clearly. Any advice?

bumpkin 15:16 09 Apr 15

Dodgy indeed, I would back up anything you want to an external drive and do a clean instal of the OS. A bit of hassle I know but if you have allowed remote access you do not know what has been done.

bumpkin 15:22 09 Apr 15

I would also be inclined to "wipe" the drive rather than just format it before the install.

alanrwood 16:09 09 Apr 15

Agree with Bumpkin.

It is a scam and they have downloaded lots of malware onto your machine via Teamviewer which might include you band and credit card details. Disconnect from the internet now and run every anti malware program you can and then your anti virus. Bumpkin's solution above id much btter.

You should also inform your bank and credit card companies quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac