Scam or not?

IClaudio 13:11 21 Mar 08

I received an e-mail this morning asking if I would be interested, as Web master, in selling some advertising space on the site that I run.

It seems to be a personalized message and quite well-written. The reply address, however, is a Hotmail account, and the web site of the company is a Free Ring Tone site. There is a page on the site displaying the adverts offered, and they are fairly low-key and well-designed.

While I'm not at all tempted by the offer (my site is for an Arts Council, so Ring Tones are hardly appropriate!), I'm wondering if this is a genuine 'business opportunity', or some kind of scam? Anyone else had a mail shot such as this?

Kemistri 13:26 21 Mar 08

That sort of thing is usually likely to be genuine and is normal, just as it's common to receive reciprocal link requests. Academic, but if you did place their advert on your site and payment was not forthcoming, you would just remove it. They know that you won't let it sit there indefinitely if they don't pay up.

techie4me 16:10 23 Mar 08

At work we get these sought of emails daily.
Yes they can bring in revenue, but as (we hope) a forward thinking IT company we really dont think our customers would be interested in most of these adverts.
That said when a couple of server providers emailed we looked at it, but prefer to off impartial advice away from the infulance of adverts.

Also if something is bought via an advert and something goes wrong with the service they offer we realise the come back could be with us!

techie4me 16:11 23 Mar 08

At work we get these sought of emails daily.
Yes they can bring in revenue, but as (we hope) a forward thinking IT company we really dont think our customers would be interested in most of these adverts.
That said when a couple of server providers emailed we looked at it, but prefer to off impartial advice away from the influence of adverts.

Also if something is bought via an advert and something goes wrong with the service they offer we realise the come back could be with us!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5