Is this a scam?

Miros 13:16 06 Dec 06

Just received the following, does anyone know if this is genuine or another useless attempt to create a e-mail clogging chain letter.

: FW: Good to know Re Pin No!!!!!

PIN NUMBER REVERSAL (GOOD TO KNOW)

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM

machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse. For example

if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber,the police will be immediately dispatched to help you. This information was recently broadcast on TV and it states that it is seldom used because people don't know it exists.

Please pass this along to everyone possible.

rmcqua 13:20 06 Dec 06

Sounds utter garbage !

Sethhaniel 13:23 06 Dec 06

the correct way ;)

Miros 13:30 06 Dec 06

Lol.Your dead right about that :-)

Ikelos 13:39 06 Dec 06

yes, utter rubbish...who would inform the plod, the banking system is automated, the plod wont come out if you have a body in the front garden till a week next wednesday let alone to an ATM point..........

Sethhaniel 13:45 06 Dec 06

Put your pin in backwards three times
and the machine will swallow your card - so no money can be taken - and thief is foiled ;)

Miros 13:47 06 Dec 06

Not quite right I beleve, if you inform the plod that you have shot an intruder apparently they will give it their immediate attention :-)

As to being utter rubish I'm inclined to agree.

€dstowe 14:05 06 Dec 06

If this were real, you would have had notification from your bank.

As you haven't, assume it's not true.

Stuartli 14:28 06 Dec 06

The "PIN" you should remember to call the police is 999:-))

brundle 14:31 06 Dec 06

A cousin sent me this a week or so back, returned with a bit of reading for her;
click here

palinka 17:05 06 Dec 06

Though this isn't an infallible clue to such things, I've noticed that hoaxes all seem to end "pass this on to everyone/all your friends/everyone in your addressbook" or similar phrase. This one contains it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…