SB Audigy 4 Mic & Headset Connections

axelbrora 14:02 20 Jan 08

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where to plug in a combination Headset and Mic to the Audigy 4?

I have 6 connections. Orange, Black, Green which has my speakers, Pink, Blue & White. The Headset has 2 plugs, Red with a single cable and Black with a twin cable (LH earphone & mic.

The Audigy web site only lists 5 connections as follows and very helpfully does not colour code them or indicate which is which.

* Line level out (Front / Side / Rear / Center)
* Line In
* Microphone In
* Digital I/O (for stereo SPDIF1 output to Digital I/O Module3)
* Aux Audio In

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

Technotiger 14:24 20 Jan 08

Surely you have full instructions with that lovely piece of kit?

Pink is normally Mic.

On your headset Red = Mic
Black = Headphones

axelbrora 17:13 20 Jan 08

Thanks for the response.

My Mic cannot be the red connection on the headset as the red jack plug is a single wire that goes to the right hand earphone. The black jack plug has a double cable that goes to the LH earphone, where the Mic is connected, and must be one for the earphone and one for the Mic.

I have now downloaded the manual from the web site. Connections as follows.

1. Line Out 3 jack (LIN_OUT3) Connects to Front Center, Subwoofer, Side Left (only on 7.1 systems) and Rear Center (only for 6.1 systems) inputs on powered analog speakers or an external amplifier for audio output.

2. Line Out 2 jack (LIN_OUT2) Connects to Rear Left, Rear Right, and Side Right (only on 7.1 systems) inputs on powered analog speakers or an external amplifier for audio output.

3. Line Out 1 jack (LIN_OUT1) Connects to Front Left and Front Right inputs on powered analog speakers or an external amplifier for audio output. Also supports headphones.

4. Microphone In jack (MIC_IN) Connects to an external microphone for voice input.

5. Line In jack (LIN_IN) Connects to analog devices like music synthesizers and other line-level sources.

6. Digital I/O jack (DIGITAL_IO) Connects to external digital devices or digital speaker systems (6-channel or compressed AC-3 SPDIF output).

Number three on the card appears to be the only one that supports headphones and my 2.1 speakers are in there. Number four is the pink one for the Mic, but as noted above my headset has a double cable to a single jack plug for both the Mic and the LH earphone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Axel

exodus 17:29 20 Jan 08

Hi, there is a help manual for connections on the CD that came with the sound card.
Insert the CD and stop it from auto running (hold down the shift key).
Explore the Cd and browse to Manual/English and open Manual.chm

Your headphones connect to Line 1, the green coloured connection.

The microphone lead attaches to the pink coloured line in.

You will need to work out which connection that is on your headset. Bear in mind you your headset may not be suitable for connecting to the card without some form of alteration i.e. a separate jack plug for the microphone connection.

exo

axelbrora 17:56 20 Jan 08

Thanks for that.

Yes I was a bit confused. The Mic is the red cable and the earphones are the black.

If the headphones need to go into the green connection, do I simply move the speakers to another Line out (2 or 3) and does it matter which one?

Axel

axelbrora 17:51 21 Jan 08

I have tried using a 3.5mm 2 into 1 stereo adapter to get both into Line 1.

With the adapter in the Line 1 socket and speakers and headset plugged into the adapter, I can only get one speaker and one earphone working. With either of them plugged straight into the Line 1 socket I can have 2 earphones or 2 speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Axel

exodus 19:56 21 Jan 08

Hi, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.

If you wish to connect your headphones to the soundcard and therefore listen to sound via the headphones, then the speakers will need to be switched off or disconnected in some other manner.

According to Creative, the headphones connect to the green line 1.
You will therefore need to remove the speaker connection from this jack socket. The orange and black connections are used for other speakers that may be connected, be it 4.1 or 5.1 channel analog speakers.

I have an inclination that your headset is designed for a modem/telephone setup.

In relation to your adapter, then either this is designed for mono and not stereo or is faulty. As I mentioned earlier, this does beg the question of why you wish headphone and speakers on at the same time.

exo

axelbrora 20:20 21 Jan 08

Hi,

>>As I mentioned earlier, this does beg the question of why you wish headphone and speakers on at the same time.<<

Quite simple really. I do not want to have to crawl about on the floor under the desk and behind the computer changing connections every time I want to switch between the speakers and the headset.

Axel

Mike D 12:43 22 Jan 08

axelbrora

I sympathise. I recently got a new PC which has an AUdiology card. On my old PC the Hercules card allowed connction of both speaker and headphone, with the switch beibg made via a task bar icon. The new Audiology card is an either or situation, which means ferreting around at the back of the pc if I want to use my headphones.

Mike D 12:45 22 Jan 08

axelbrora

I sympathise. I recently got a new PC which has an AUdiology card. On my old PC the Hercules card allowed connction of both speaker and headphone, with the switch beibg made via a task bar icon. The new Audiology card is an either or situation, which means ferreting around at the back of the pc if I want to use my headphones.

Jim_F 13:44 22 Jan 08

For stereo -this type of thing may do what you want: click here

Obviously it won't do anything about surround speakers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now