Saving XP Settings.

dave726587 20:59 31 Oct 06

I am going to reinstall xp because these problems are driving me crazy click here

I have an external hard drive to backup all my files.

how do i save all my computers settings. I want to save all the things i have customized like to desktop and i would like to save my interne explorer favourates and website passwords.

Is there a simple way to do all of this?

VoG II 21:09 31 Oct 06

Why not try a repair as suggested in your previous thread? Your settings should be retained.

dave726587 21:10 31 Oct 06

Hi, i already tried but it made my computer funtion very slowly.

Scouter 21:15 31 Oct 06

I use Karen's replicator to back to my extrenal hd. click here

You need to go to documenst and settings (your user name) and copy the folders to your external drive (desktop, internet temp files). I am not sure where the password files would be located perhaps someone else may be able to advise on that - I never save my passwords on system.

Hope this helps

Scouter 22:07 31 Oct 06

Just thought you might be interested in this:

click here

phono 22:28 31 Oct 06

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > system Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and follow the on screen prompts, depending on what you have installed this could take some time and quite a bit of HD space, if you have an external backup drive use it.

It may also be wise to export all your IE favourites, cookies etc, click File > Import and Export and run the wizard, you can also do the same for email contacts in Outlook Express or Outlook.

Bit of a belt and braces approach but probably worth it just in case.

dave726587 23:13 01 Nov 06

thanks i will use file transfer wizrd in xp :-)

phono 23:55 01 Nov 06

Let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video