saving windows updates

pppc 21:56 29 May 04

I reformat my C drive and reinstall Windows (98SE) every few months. Each time one of the first jobs is to download and install all the Critical Updates.

Is there any way I can save the updates on a CD and apply them without having to go online?? I am especially worried as support for W98 is coming to an end - will the Updates remain available??

christmascracker 21:59 29 May 04
  Doogie Howser 22:08 29 May 04

Go to the windows update page and on the left hand side click on the 'personalise windows update', the. tick the box to display the windows update catalogue. When you refresh the page you will notice a new choice in the left hand pane - 'windows update catalogue'. It's fairly intuitive from there on and you can download the updates to a directory of your choice.

pppc 22:17 29 May 04

christmascracker and Doogie Howser. Mny thanx to both of you - what kept you?!?!?!

I too thought I'd seen it in a mag but had no record of it now. And I was surprised I was unable to turm up an earelier reference in this forum.

Anyway, I'll give it a go in the morning and I hope I can tick it up aS RESOLVED. Masny thanks again

PeterC

powerless 22:21 29 May 04

Ummm the xmascracker link was about 15 posts down from yours... ;-))

p.s. get the CD

pppc 19:26 30 May 04

Doogie Howser

I downloaded the updates I want: I've re-installed Windows: now how do I get at my collection of dowloaded updates???

Presumable I'm a bit thick but I've not yet seen the answer!!!

PeterC

powerless 19:28 30 May 04

Where did you save the updates?

pppc 21:37 30 May 04

In a directory, W-Updates, on my D drive

powerless 21:38 30 May 04

Hm...

Well you should be able to see D in my computer?

Was Windows Installed to C or D?

pppc 21:41 30 May 04

Windows is on the C drive. I can see the Updates directory - how do I use the updaTES?

powerless 21:45 30 May 04

Oh just checking...

Well the fun continues, you'll have to click through each folder to install the updates. Lots of folders...

You'll have to install one at one time.

OR look at this: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…