Saving username/password when reported as invalid

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 27 Nov 03

Running win2k I sometimes find that if my ISP is busy it will return a message that the username / password is invalid.

Then on redial the username / password box is blank.

Any ideas how I can stop windows from removing the password / username when an "invalid" response is received?

Needless to say, I have ticked the box to say "save password".

Diodorus Siculus 21:04 27 Nov 03

Anyone...

A_World_Maker 21:21 27 Nov 03

Rather than entering continously from the pop up box, enter your information through the dialup connection direct, and then save it. Start... Settings... Network Connections.. right hand click on your connection.. select Properties... look for the connection information and password/username.. type it in (delete and redo if there), then click on 'save password', then OK..

Diodorus Siculus 21:26 27 Nov 03

A_World_Maker

Thanks for that suggestion. I got as far as right clicking on the connection and choosing properties. However, from that point, there is no place for properties / connection information etc.

I have also deleted the DUN and created a new one and it makes no difference.

Pesala 22:48 27 Nov 03
  Diodorus Siculus 07:52 28 Nov 03

Thanks Pesala, but Mozilla already has its own form filler....

Anyway, that is not what is at issue here; what I want is some means of retaining the username in Windows 2000's network connections when an "invalid username" is returned (because clearly the username / password combination is not invalid).

recap 11:01 28 Nov 03

I think this is a security issue. W2K takes away your username/password if it has been configured to do so in the security policy. Check your security policy and change the setting to disable last username/password.

Diodorus Siculus 11:08 28 Nov 03

recap - thanks for that; I think I have found it there among the management options. Now I will log off and try with an ivalid username / password and see how it goes.

Diodorus Siculus 11:14 28 Nov 03

Thanks very much recap; that has done it for me.

I have tried to log on with a wrong username and it has been saved when my ISP returned an "incorrect username" reply.

The reason I wanted this is that it means I can do unattended redials until I eventually get through at busy periods.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced