Saving to a Terminal PC

The Potter 14:31 22 Jan 09

Hi, I'm not looking for how to's but what is possible.

Take a networked PC set up as a terminal and running Windows Server 2003 standard edition. Is it possible for the network admin to give the user of that PC permissions to save documents to the C drive?

If so, I'd like to know what I can tell our IT company so they do it!

TP

recap 15:01 22 Jan 09

On C: drive configure the necessary share and security options for the user. Right click drive C: and select Share and Security to set the necessary permissions.

The Potter 15:16 22 Jan 09

Is this possible even though the actual user at present can not see the C drive (Sorry, I presumed there would be one as this was a standalone PC before they networked it)?

TP

recap 19:15 22 Jan 09

By the sound's of it The Potter, the C: drive has been hidden for some reason, or it may have been reassigned another letter?

Right click 'My Computer' select 'Manage' then 'Disk Management' you should now see what drives and sizes of drives there are on the PC.

Tech Guy 22:52 22 Jan 09

You can't do anything from the "terminal" as it won't have the privledges.

You can set the server to save all user files to it's local drive, but I never done it, and no idea how to. More common is the server sets aside so much drive space for that user and calls it the Z: drive, and stores it centraly.

Sorry couldn't help more.

recap 11:11 23 Jan 09

Using DFS may help click here

For Terminal Server Capacity Planning click here

The Potter 00:53 25 Jan 09

Thank you all. I had checked out 'my computer' and it only showed networked drives ......

Either way the IT folk have said it will cause problems with the emails. Quite outragously (in my mind) the owners of the business have been forced to upgrade to SDSL and the IT bods refuse to look at other alternatives. How long this will take to connect up some 16 terminal pcs that are mostly in rural locations I don't know (is SDSL an option everywhere???), I guess in the meantime the users will just have to put up with typing one word on a document every five minutes (mega GRRRRR!)

May I just ask a general opinion of you chaps that know about these things ..........

If you were going to move the documents of some 16 pcs to a central server (all pcs in seperate external locations), route their printer (sat next to the pc) via the server and obviously all emails going via the server; wouldn't you a. check the server was capable, b. check the connection speed of the line was up to it? Oh yes, and bear in mind there are already some 30 pcs connected to that server in the same building, not terminals and not routing their printers via the server.

Seems the logical thing to do to me but what do I know?

TP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…