saving programes to cd/dvd

MAD_MIKE 20:42 05 Jul 10

i am considering reinstalling winxp on my pc and want to save all of my programes as some of them have instalation codes,which i now don't have,can i save the programes folder in 'my computer' to cd/dvd or external hard drive and will they work ok when reloaded,i have noticed that there are also some in the windows folder will i be able to save these in a similar way,not with folder but individualy.

mgmcc 20:48 05 Jul 10

If you reinstall Windows in your PC you will have to reinstall all of the programs from their original installation media. You cannot simply copy existing program folders and then restore them afterwards.

Before reinstalling Windows, download and run Belarc Advisor click here then print out the results. This will detail all of the hardware and software installed in the PC, including the Product Keys used to install any software. It will also be helpful should you need to search for any additional drivers.

MAD_MIKE 23:33 05 Jul 10

thanks mgmcc i might of known it would not be as easy as i thought.what if i made a full backup of my hard drive could i then coppy them back after reinstalaton of xp.

mgmcc 07:56 06 Jul 10

No because, even if you get the entries back into the "Program Files" folder, you would never be able to reproduce the entries in the registry which are necessary for the programs to run.

woodchip 11:36 06 Jul 10

It will not work

MAD_MIKE 22:54 06 Jul 10

thanks to you both,very much appreciated. mike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…