saving photos

joe95 13:44 29 Jul 04

Hi everyone,
I am about to scan a load of photos onto my hard drive, in the save box it asks what as I prusime that has to be jpeg and aldo there is a little box to tick called as a copy should I tick or leave and also another box called iccp profile.
Any advice please.
Thanks Joe

stlucia 13:56 29 Jul 04

What format you save them in depends on what your priorities are: .jpg will probably use less disk space, but .bmp or .tif are I believe higher quality formats.

I have to leave it to others to answer about whether you should save as a copy, or to use iccp profile -- my system doesn't give me those options!

Pesala 14:35 29 Jul 04
  PA28 14:46 29 Jul 04

.jpg format will take up less disk space than a .tiff. However, if you then work on the pictures each time you save a .jpg you will lose a little quality as this is a "lossy" format. If you save your original as a .tiff then he files will be bigger, but the compression is lossless so the problem of progressive quality loss doesn't happen. If the images are valuable, then to save time and play safe I would be inclined to initially save the pictures as .tiffs and having scanned them, make backup copies from your hard drive to a couple of CD/DVD disks. Then you can work on them to your heart's content, save in whatever format you wish, and generally abuse them - safe in the knowledge that you have an already scanned high quality original image to go back whenever you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…