Saving photo files as CMYK

jonmac 10:14 11 Apr 03

I've started producing the local village magazine and am running into the problems of interfacing with my local print house's Mac system and software. I'm using MS Publisher saved as a Portable document File. That's fine because all the internal photos and text are black and white but the covers are in colour and the printers say all the colur photos must be in CMYK rather than RGB. PaintShop Pro doen't seem able to do it and I can't afford Photoshop.
Anyone know of a cheap method of converting?

siouxah1 11:43 11 Apr 03

jonmac,

Which version of Publisher are you using?

In Publisher 2000 go to

TOOLS

COMMERCIAL PRINTING TOOLS

CYMK

If you have earlier version this might not be so. In that case please ignore. Hope this might help.

Regards Brian j

Paranoid Android 13:32 11 Apr 03

Paint Shop Pro 7 will output CMYK colour separations, however it doesn't help as much as you would think. Outputting a postscript print file from a PC is often unrecognisable by professional printers especially those with AppleMac.

Have you considered sending the files to your printer as pdf files ? This usually overcomes most problems and has proved very successful in the past for me. pdf crosses the mac frontier without problems.

Send them a good sample print or pantone colours to help get a good colur match.

You will need a pdf creator such as Acrobat Distiller, Jaws or PDFFactory.

Marvin

jonmac 13:43 11 Apr 03

I'm using MS Publisher 97. Two print houses I spoke to said that the photos in the .PDF file had to be CMYK and not RGB otherwise they wouldn't print other than in black. Meantime I've created the colour pages as separate .jpg files which they can then convert to CMYK but that's not always ideal.

Paranoid Android 16:30 11 Apr 03

Acrobat Distiller can create CMYK pdf files, but I don't know about the others. Time for a little homework.

Marvin

jonmac 21:35 11 Apr 03

I'm using Distiller for the PDF files but can't see anything in the help system, that I can understand, which allows conversion of RGB immages to CMYK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…