Saving part downloads

RogerB 16:47 31 Aug 05

A few months ago the mag mentioned some software which ensured that part downloads were not lost if the connection dropped. Stupidly, I didn't take a note. Can anyone remind me, please?

Stuartli 16:53 31 Aug 05

FreshDownload from:

click here

will resume downloads that have been disconnected or paused.

No ads, just a straightforward download manager.

Stuartli 16:54 31 Aug 05

The website has to support the Resume feature but most do these days.

RogerB 20:33 08 Sep 05

Many thanks, Stuartli.

I've downloaded the programme you suggested - looks good, but unfortunately it doesn't work with TrendMicro's antivirus updates. Or rather, TrendM's downloads are not compatible with the Fresh Download programme.

I'm still looking for the programme that was mentioned in the mag a few months ago - it obviously put the downloads into a proper file rather than a temp one, so if the connection dropped, a second try started where it left off.

But thanks for your help anyway.

Roger B

RogerB 20:37 08 Sep 05

Many thanks, Stuartli.

I've downloaded the programme you suggested - looks good, but unfortunately it doesn't work with TrendMicro's antivirus updates. Or rather, TrendM's downloads are not compatible with the Fresh Download programme.

I'm still looking for the programme that was mentioned in the mag a few months ago - it obviously put the downloads into a proper file rather than a temp one, so if the connection dropped, a second try started where it left off.

But thanks for your help anyway.

Roger B

Big Elf 20:46 08 Sep 05

I've been using Stardownloader for over a year now. Not sure if it will do what you want?

click here

Stuartli 21:06 08 Sep 05

I don't have a temporary file (i.e. I don't just save a file to the Desktop).

I have an FD folder to which FreshDownload's path is pointed to store downloads (there is also a Desktop shortcut).

This not only stores whatever has been downloaded but acts as a backup - I can also run the program, application or whatever just after it is downloaded. It is still saved to the FD folder at the same time.

As a matter of curiosity, why should/do TrendMicro's antivirus updates cause such a problem?

Stuartli 21:11 08 Sep 05

FreshDownload is equally as capable handling downloads with a 2MB broadband system as it was when I was on 56k dialup...:-)

You can use up to eight channels to download simultaneously.

anchor 14:37 09 Sep 05

My favourite is Download Express:

click here

click here

No adware or spyware.

RogerB 19:13 19 Sep 05

Many thanks, Stuartli (again), Bigelf and Anchor.

I'll try out all these suggestions and see what comes.

Apologies for the delay in the reply - I've been away for a week or so.

The problem with TrendMicro's downloads is their size. They're usually 4 - 7 megs every other day, but I was away for a week and the connection kept dropping when the download bar showed 50% finished at about 7MB. Without Broadband it was taking 40 minutes or so, and 14 MB was beyond reason - or so the computer thought!

I'll keep trying, and Broadband is the next possibilty! Ta muchly.

Stuartli 21:14 19 Sep 05

Why are they so large and why every other day or so?

I'd switch to Avast! if I was you - free, highly efficient, small updates and these download automatically when you or whilst you are online.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…