Saving outlook express letters

dfb70uk 11:16 08 Nov 06

I have got to reinstall Windows xp. My wife bless her heart has maases of letters she wants to keep and hasn't backed them up to a file in a another partition. Is they a way to keep these simply and not have to move each separately?
Help would be most welcome.
Regards
David

johndrew 11:32 08 Nov 06

I presume you are using OE.

Go to `Start>Search` type in `*.dbx` into `all or part of the filename` ensure you are searching the partition with `Program Files` on it and then press `Search`.

You will get a list of `.dbx` files. Identify the root file (something like C:\Documents and Settings\????\Local Settings\Application Data\Identitities\{ANNNNNd-NNNN-NNNNNNNNNNN}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) which is normally hidden. Copy this file to somewhere safe and you have all the e-mails.

For the future you could always back them up using something like Acronis True Image. This can be set up as a single button press function and you can reistall wherever you want.

dfb70uk 22:17 08 Nov 06

Thanks Johndrew,
I thought I needed dbx files but didn't know how to find them. Sorry ment to mention OE.
Thanks again
David

Stuartli 22:59 08 Nov 06

With all Microsoft products there is a very comprehensive Help file.

In the case of Outlook Express if you key in Export or Import (Messages) there is a full description of how to do it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…