saving my stuff

mco 13:50 19 Aug 04

Desperate - please advise! Seems only way I can solve computer problem is by using restore cds - afraid I'll lose everything on hard drive. Is there a way I can put it all onto my laptop and then, when problem is sorted, put everything back onto computer again? Unfortunately I know just enough about pcs to have a go but not enough to actually solve the problems! Also - is XP CD different from Restore CD. I have Restore CD but am told it's XP CD I need.

MichelleC 14:17 19 Aug 04

A restore cd will do a quick format and revert to factory settings, but with an xp disc you can run repairs, sfc etc.

I'm not sure but think a network card in each pc with crossover cable would transer.

mco 14:25 19 Aug 04

thanks - I don't have an XP disc - not sure I ever got one. Beginning to think I'll have to give up and take it away..

christmascracker 14:36 19 Aug 04

Why dont you put all your important stuff on CD or DVD, restore then put everything back on again?

mco 14:40 19 Aug 04

well - that's what I want to do - but how? I can't boot up the broken computer in order to save anything onto the laptop..

woodchip 14:55 19 Aug 04

Have you tried going into SAFE MODE? start computer and keep pressing F8

mco 14:59 19 Aug 04

yep - tried various of the safe mode options but still get following error message: lsass.exe system error: when trying to update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct. Checked it out on internet but I can't see there's anything else I dare do, not having the XP cd and not wanting to risk losing stuff. I don't have the knowledge of how to transfer everything over to laptop in order to restore to original settings.

woodchip 15:05 19 Aug 04

if you cannot get into windows and no xp cd you have got a problem. This is where Win98se scores over XP in that you can get into DOS to do things

mco 15:40 19 Aug 04

I'm the oldie parent; I've still got win98se and believe me, I never have any problems! Kids have XP and it's been one problem/worm/virus after another. Off to computer repair shop now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…