Saving Linksys WEP settings

ruskle 20:59 12 Apr 06

I have been using a Linksys WAG54G modem Router for years and have not bothered with any security. Now my only next door neighbour for miles (an old lady) has departed and a younger couple have moved in. I decided to go for a bit of security and have entered a WEP key, reconnecting via the cable to set it up and then going back to Wi Fi. I had to manually enter the code and wonder if there is a way to save it in my Laptop and not hve to enter it each time I bring the lappy home and log on. The lappy has no internet settings on, only a link to my home or office Wi Fi.

Russell.

ade.h 21:34 12 Apr 06

Firstly, I have to say that the likelyhood of this couple being disohnest is reasonably slim and the chance of them knowing how to crack WEP would be a bit slimmer. But...

...it is so easy to do that I would never recommend that anyone use WEP when WPA-PSK is vastly stronger and more convenient.

mgmcc 08:41 13 Apr 06

In your wireless adapter's software, it should be possible to save the connection between the laptop and router as a "profile", so that the encryption key doesn't need to be entered each time. Profiles can be saved for both your office and home connections.

ruskle 11:03 13 Apr 06

Thanks for the replies.
I switched on my home Wi Fi and Laptop for a few moments this morning and didn't need to enter the code again, is it needed only when reinstalling the software? I will try the WPA-PSK when I get back home. I have had the laptop between our properties and also my front drive and get no signal from my home Wi Fi router so I suppose I am safe anyway.
Anymore comments before I tick resolved?

Thanks again.

Russell.

ruskle 14:39 13 Apr 06

I have now setup my security using WPA-PSK as ade.h suggested and after switching off my laptop and office router then back on again everything is running smooth. Seems that it easier than I first though so I will do the same at home.
Thanks chaps.

Russell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…