Saving installed programmes during reformat

jessej 19:09 17 Jul 05

I'm back on the subject of a son-in-laws computer, running XP Pro.
He wants it reformatted, there is an awful lot of rubbish on it and this seems the easiest way to clear it all out, besides which his C drive is overflowing. Unfortunately, he has some games on it and can't find the CD's which he wants to keep. So how do I save them for reinstalling? Can I do it by creating an image of them with Acronis True Image, or is there a better way?
At present his hard drive is partioned, C = 5GB and D=55GB.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

woodchip 19:27 17 Jul 05

You cannot save Installed Programs and reformat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 17 Jul 05

Woodchip is correct

you can back up files and games but programsneed to be reinstalled as they have entries in the registry.

use Crap Cleaner click here to clear out rubbish and something like partion magic to extend the 5G c:\ drive using some of the space on the D:\ 55G drive

jessej 19:33 17 Jul 05

Thank you woodchip, you just confirmed what I thought but it was worth a try.
I'll break the bad news to him as gently as I can, he loves his games possibly more than my daughter.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:36 17 Jul 05

It is easy to save installed programme by selecting C drive (or your main drive) and copying the programme folder. I have done this many times and it works well. On reformatting just copy the folder back to the C/programmes folder (it can go anywhere but it is tidier if you put it in teh obvious folder) and then put a shortcut to the desktop for the .exe start file.

..........However games and some applications can be difficult as they tend to dump certain files (mainly the reg.key) in other areas of the computer. This means that just copying the C/programme file will not be enough. Try it out beforehand to see if the copy works, I have never had much problem.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…