Saving HDD Image to DVD

Skeletor 13:48 26 Aug 04

Hi all,

Is it possible to save an image of my drive c: to DVD?

I have Acronis TrueImage (the version that often comes free with PC mags), but it doesn't seem to support DVD, so burning straight to DVD isn't possible (although I may be wrong). I've tried saving an image on a seperate partition and then copying the file to DVD, but obviously the file is very large and doesn't allow saving to multiple discs.

Do I need to buy more up to date cloning software.

Thanks for any advice

stylehurst 14:09 26 Aug 04

You don't specify which version of True Image you have, I have just checked on Version 7, this allows writing direct to dvd -r or rw.
Version 8 is now available

TomJerry 14:12 26 Aug 04

You can create image files on free space of Hard disk and copy them over to dvd, remember split file size under 2GB.

Better to get new version of TrueImage which has better dvd support.

woodchip 14:53 26 Aug 04

I use it and the only way as I have not got it to recognise my dvd. is save the Image to a Partition then copy the image to DVD. It work after just as if you had put it direct on the dvd. to install it you need to make the three rescue Floppy discs or a rescue CD

Skeletor 15:34 26 Aug 04

Thanks all for your help,

stylehurst,
I have just checked, and it's version 1,0,0,1 so I think it's probably time for an upgrade.

TomJerry,
It's pretty much what I've tried except I've never split a file before. How do you do that?

woodchip,
It's exactly what I've tried. I guess you had to split the file as TomJerry suggested. I already have the three boot discs, but am unable to get as far as to see if they work.

Any further help appreciated. Cheers

woodchip 15:42 26 Aug 04

No if the file will go on a dvd use best compression when creating the Image file, then check the file size by right click properties. you only have to split the image if it will be too big to go on a dvd. to do that in the program you choose the size of the files it lets you do it. But I think I chose the CD option but saved to disc then copied the files to CD’s

Skeletor 15:55 26 Aug 04

Thanks woodchip,

Even with max compression the file would be about 12.5Gb (uncompressed nearly 30Gb),so I would still need to split it.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…