Saving files to a USB Flash drive

Hamish I 23:37 13 Jun 06

I would like to save some files to a Flash drive but can't see any way of doing it. The only destinations offered seem to be in A, C or D drives. How does one get something to USB, which I (perhaps wrongly) assume might be E drive?

Tim1964 23:45 13 Jun 06

What operating system are you using?

With XP, when you plug in the USB drive for the first time you should (after a few seconds) get a pop-up saying 'windows has found new hardware and is installing....' followed by 'your new hardware is ready to use'.

When you open windows explorer or 'my comp' (in win98) you will see the new drive listed as a removable storage drive. Remember to refresh (F5) the view if you look for the drive before it's had a chance to load. In your case it will be listed as drive E and you can drag/drop files into it or 'right click' the files and select 'send to.....'

ade.h 23:50 13 Jun 06

How about making use of the Copy To and Move To toolbar commands which - in Microsoft's infinite wisdom - are not present on folder window toolbars by default. They are, however, only a right click away and are an invaluable edition. Their functions can also be accessed from the Edit menu. The folder tree that appears will - if it is correctly installed - include the flash drive.

Hamish I 23:52 13 Jun 06

Thank you Tim1964 for the prompt reply which solves my problem

Hamish I 23:56 13 Jun 06

Thanks to ade.h also. I hadn't seen your post when I wrote the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…