Saving to external hard drive

Graham. 09:48 21 Jan 07

A friend has a new computer, and I've suggested taking the HDD out of the old one and using a hard drive enclosure such as click here to connect it to the new one.

Would he have to format the drive using a command prompt to erase the existing OS and data? And fdisk if there is more than one partition?

ed-0 09:54 21 Jan 07

If the drive he is putting into the enclosure will be a slave drive, then no. Just work on it via disk management.

If it is to be the booting hard drive and he wishes to put the O/S on it, then it can be done via windows setup.

Graham. 10:01 21 Jan 07

Thanks, it will be a USB drive. My concern is the easiest way to erase it so it is empty and formatted ready to save on.

bremner 10:06 21 Jan 07

If he wants to clear the data off the drive then all he need do is connect by USB using the enclosure and then in My Computer right click on the drive and choose Format.

This will NOT wipe the drive of the old data but will let Windows see it as a clean drive with all its space available to write to.

ed-0 10:10 21 Jan 07

Then either right click and format, if it shows in my computer, but you will still have the partitions.

but you suggested they may be more than one partition and you wished the drive to be whole again.

So:-

Or use disk management to erase the partitions and rebuild the drive into one single partition. This automatically wipes the whole drive.

Diemmess 10:29 21 Jan 07

I think he will need to make sure the jumper is set to master before connecting a via USB. If it was the primary HD in the old box, there's probably no need to meddle with jumpers.

Maybe a simple format of the "new" external disk when up and running will be enough. Safe if slow!
If he is using XP then "Disk Management" will do everything particularly if there is more than one partition on the old disk.

Graham. 10:50 21 Jan 07

Thanks all, I think we've cracked it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…