Saving Excel

steviegee 16:04 03 Jul 07

I am using Excel 2003. Is there any way that it will automatically 'Save' every few minutes so that I don't lose any important work I am doing in case of a crash or I forget to save it!!

I am trying to get in the routine of clicking the the little floppy disc icon (save icon) every now and then but I just wondered if there was a foulsafe way. Thanks.

recap 16:12 03 Jul 07

In Excel 2003 go to Tools/Options/Save

Abi-Moore 16:12 03 Jul 07

click here
scroll to 2003

I am interested too. What about like steviegee says and you forget to periodically save it, do a lot of work and forget to save it at the end. I have had 2 or 3 spreadsheets opened at once, and when I closed one it said exit with saving and I didn't because it was the wrong one. So I lost all I did that afternoon.

So if each spreadsheet automatically saved itself every couple of minutes it would be great! Possible?

VoG II 19:29 03 Jul 07

For your situation you could use the following code (in each workbook) to ensure that it is saved automatically when you close it:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=True
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

To use this, right click the Excel logo to the left of File on the menu bar and select View Code. Paste in the code then close the code window.

The disadvantage of this is that it will save 'rubbish' if you have made a mistake in what you are doing. If that occurs use File Save As and save as DeleteMe.xls or similar before closing the file.

Daz is that not it at the bottom of abi moores link
click here
there seems to be autorecover with number of minutes and save to location,autosave is built in to 2003 rather than a addon in previous versions
havent used it though?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…