saving downloads.

Stephjh 16:21 10 Jan 04

I have downloaded a couple of programs from the internet and paid the respective companies for the full versions, I have kept the install icons on my desktop, but am sending the hard-drive back to the company I bought it from as it is starting to fail, I would like toknow if someone can tell me how to save the programs to floppy disc, so that when I get it back I don't have to download every thing again, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dazwm 16:25 10 Jan 04

How big are the programs because they probably won't fit on a floppy. Have you got a CD-RW?

Stephjh 16:31 10 Jan 04

no, I don't have the extra cd-rw yet, I do have the space to have 1 put in and will do that at a later date, the programs:- one is coppernic - search engines, and the other is a game called christmas passage, which was downloadable in 3 parts, if you haven't heard of it, it is like a board game with tiles (I suppose like scrabble, but with pictures).

Diodorus Siculus 16:32 10 Jan 04

If you need to use a floppy disk, try a program like winzip which will turn them into zip files and then span them over a number of floppies as necessary.

If they are less than 1.4mb in size, just insert a formatted floppy and drag the files onto the floppy icon in "my computer".

VoG II 16:45 10 Jan 04

Make sure that you save the actual programs, not just the install icons which could be just shortcuts!

Stephjh 16:49 10 Jan 04

please would you be good enough to tell me how to save the programs to floppy.

Diodorus Siculus 16:52 10 Jan 04

Do you have the programs you downloaded saved on your PC? If so, check their size (right click and choose properties). If they are less than 1.4mb, then you can drag and drop them onto the floppy as I described above.

If more than 1.4mb, then tell us and you will get a variety of explanations.

Diodorus Siculus 16:53 10 Jan 04

PS if you have installed the programs, but have not saved the install file to the hard disk, then you will need to download them again.

Stephjh 16:56 10 Jan 04

I have not deleted anything, how do I find out if they are on the hard disk? please

Diodorus Siculus 16:58 10 Jan 04

It will be wherever you saved it when you downloaded it from the internet the first time. Do you know where that was?

VoG II 17:00 10 Jan 04

Do the icons have arrows on them, bottom left. If so they are shortcuts. If so right click and select Properties. The Target box will show you where the actual installation programs are.

You will need to use Winzip click here as stated earlier so that you can span them to fill a number of floppies.

Start Winzip, click on New,in the dialog box that pops up direct it to your floppy drive (with a formatted disk in the drive) and enter a file name, then on the next dialog point it to the location of the installation program and make sure that "Miltiple disk spanning" is set to Automatic.

Keep feeding floppy disks when asked and be sure to label them in sequence, 1, 2, 3 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…