Saving to CD-RW

shamone79 19:20 29 Sep 05

Hi. How can I get my CD-RW disc to act as a floppy? I.E. When completing an office document, if I have opened it from the CD I cannot re-save it because it says it is a read-only document. I have switched off the read-only attribute in file properties before I write to CD but it still does not allow me to re-save under the same filename. I am not running any 'Drag & Drop' software. Do I need this or is there a way of getting windows to allow me to treat a CD-RW as you would a floppy disc?

Totally-braindead 19:22 29 Sep 05

I believe that you need something like Neros InCD but as I've never done it I could be wrong but this is what I'm given to understand.

GaT7 19:33 29 Sep 05

You need 'packet-writing' software like Nero's InCD (as Tb mentions) or Roxio's DirectCD. For a CD-RW disk (or even a CD-R) to act like a floppy, it needs to be formatted first, with either of the afore-mentioned programs.

You can also create a 'multi-session' disk, & keep adding data to it until it's full, but this takes more time as it doesn't behave like a floppy.

Of the two, the former (I've found) is not a very reliable method of (re)writing to disk (errors which result in data loss is common), while the latter is fine. G

GaT7 19:40 29 Sep 05

Packet writing - click here.

Multisession CD - click here. G

shamone79 19:44 29 Sep 05

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the info you have supplied. Cheers

Stuartli 22:19 29 Sep 05

I would personally avoid CD-RWs - their reflectivity level is very low compared to a CD-R and are often impossible or difficult for some drives to read.

A CD-R in multisession form is far more reliable (best to make at least two copies) and can be added to until the disk is full.

woodchip 23:09 29 Sep 05

With InCD it puts a ICON in the system tray you can format a CDRW by right clicking the icon and choose Format or double click the icon after format you cand just drag files on to it as with a floppy disc in Win\Explorer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…