SaveTo Destination?

Legslip 19:57 27 Mar 11

My friend has a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 40gb HD. The disk is threequarters full and therefore the PC is slow. I have a spare 120gb HD that I can insatll as a slave. If I do a factory restore, which will load Win XP and associated Dell progs to his C drive, is there any way that I can make the new slave HD the default destination for all programmes and files? Will I have to create a new My Documents folder?

Taff™ 20:12 27 Mar 11

Wrong way round Legslip. First off install the 120Gb disk as the slave and transfer all the data (My Docs. Pictures etc) to it. (Put it in a folder called Original Data or something like that.

Then do a factory reset which will wipe all the original hard drive and data, which you`ve transferred anyway, and immediately re-install all the XP service packs up to SP3 plus any optional one`s you choose and the 110 updates since SP3.

click here and select a different location for all the data which will be the 120GB drive. Once that is done move all the old data to those folder as appropriate.

Theory: The old 40 Gb drive is perfectly sufficient to run all the system files but not for all the data. Data is now safe on the 120Gb drive and if ever that original drive fails you simply replace it - data safe on the other drive.

rdave13 20:27 27 Mar 11

Personally I'd clone the 40 gig drive to the 120 gig drive. Change the drive and use the 40 gig drive as a usb enclosured drive for backing up docs, photos etc after formatting.

Legslip 21:32 27 Mar 11

My apologies Taff -n Dave. I should have eaborated a bit more earlier. They have an external HD so what I am trying to do is use the new 120gb drive as the storage drive and use GFI Backup to save regularly to the Ext. HD.

Taff, understand creating My Docs on new HD thanks but is there any way of installing by default any additional progs to it such as MS Office?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 27 Mar 11

New programs new to be installed as a "custom install" and you can then specify where to locate them.
Most of my programs are install on a second hard drive (f), Keeping C:\ to approx 20G

Unfortunately some programs will not let you install anywhere except the default C:\program files (Norton 360 v4 for instance)

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab.
In the Target box, do one of the following:
Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

Legslip 22:00 27 Mar 11

Thanks Fruit Bat & one 'n all. I am sure that you have given me excellent guidance once again. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac