Save Restore partition to DVD

Graham ® 16:41 05 Feb 05

A High Street computer store salesman tells me that on certain new PCs, if you boot into Startup options (F8) in XP, you get the option to save the Restore partition to Cd's or DVD.

This would obviously be valuable in the event of hard drive failure, plus the space (3GB) could be re-used.

This Restore partition is an alternative to a restore CD that may come with a new PC.

Can any new owners confirm this, please?

dogtrack 08:36 06 Feb 05

I have a Compaq with a similar partition. In the program list from the Start menu there was a facility to create a Restore CD/DVD from that partition. This could be only done the once. Would suggest you look carefully along that path and you might find something similar.

Graham ® 10:37 06 Feb 05

Thanks, my XP is two years old and doesn't have it. This is for a possible purchase by a colleague.

dogtrack 13:43 06 Feb 05

It might be worth copying the said partition "as is" to a DVD, set a restore point, ensure your machine is set to boot from the CD/DVD rom drive and give it a try. If it looks as though it is going to procede, just cancel.

Graham ® 14:14 06 Feb 05

Thanks, this information was for a colleague. I have a full set of recovery CDs from HP for my PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 06 Feb 05

Restore partition contains compressed files of operating sysem and drivers.

Restore CD contains program to wipe c:\drive and decompress and rewrite opsystem and drivers to your c: drive.

You cannot Install system from a restore disk if partition or harddrive u/s.

Restore partion is a super hidden partiiton if you can access it then you can copy it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:15 06 Feb 05

Win 95/98
In order to hide partitions the value 10h is added to the partition ID. And in order to make a partition visible only this value 10h needs to be subtracted from the partition ID.

True hidden partition:
The simple method of hiding a partition described above does not work with Windows 2000/XP/2003. This means, even if the partition ID is switched to hidden, the partition is visible under Windows 2000/XP/2003. In order to true hide the partition the boot sector is additionally changed. Hence true hiding a partition means to change both the partition ID and the boot sector. Then the partition is not anymore recognized by Windows 2000/XP/2003.

It is possible that Windows 2000/XP/2003 considers a true hidden partition as unformatted. This can be changed by removing the drive letter from a true hidden partition. This prevents that you accidentally format such an "unformatted" partition thereby deleting all existing data on that partition. Drive letters are assigned resp. removed within the Windows disk administrator (Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management).

Graham ® 15:20 06 Feb 05

My HP System Recovery guide includes 'The program performs a full recovery to reinstall the operating system from the system recovery CDs'.

Although they are 'model specific', it would enable me to replace the hard drive if it failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…