Save emails to USB drive

ruskle 19:40 09 May 07

My laptop has got a small crack on the lid and is going back to Toshiba under the extended warranty. I want to remove all my emails and store them on my USB pendrive until it is returned. I have no problems with address's favourites etc just the emails I sent and recieved. How do I go about it.
Thanks, Ruskle.

Just incase anybody has a Toshiba M60 17inch wide screen with the bronze lid and a small crack has appeared just above the lid release catch Toshiba is aware of the fault. This type of damage would not normally be covered under warranty as it is regarded as accidental damage but due to a few people claiming they are prepared to change the lids FOC.

Technotiger 19:49 09 May 07
  ruskle 20:11 09 May 07

Yes Technotiger, that is exactly what I was after.
I have installed it on the same USB drive as the emails and it will be ready for use as soon as the laptop is returned ( 5 days turn around promised).
I noticed that it has a 30 day evaluation period but hopefully it won't be needed again.
Thanks again,
Ruskle

Technotiger 20:16 09 May 07

Grrreat ... good luck with your new lid.

ruskle 20:47 11 May 07

I know I clicked "Resolved" but just an afterthought. Is it possible to save the emails to "My Documents" so that I can read them without opening Outlook express, not really important but I'd just like to know.

Ruskle

MAJ 20:52 11 May 07

Not really, ruskle as OE emails are database files (.dbx). What you can do is drag your emails out of your inbox, into your My Documents folder. The individual emails will then be saved as .eml files and when double-clicked will be opened in OE. It means that you can clear OE of all emails but still use it to read individual emails that aren't stored in OE. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Technotiger 20:56 11 May 07

Hmm, not completely sure, 'cos I have never used it myself, but is there perhaps an option in the Restore process of my previous link to 'save-as' or to 'restore to' My Documents.

Here is another one for you to play with, this one does appear to have the option to save anywhere you wish on your hard drive.

click here

Technotiger 20:58 11 May 07

Hmm, not completely sure, 'cos I have never used it myself, but is there perhaps an option in the Restore process of my previous link to 'save-as' or to 'restore to' My Documents.

Here is another one for you to play with, this one does appear to have the option to save anywhere you wish on your hard drive.

click here

(just got that message again - 'Server is taking too long etc' - so this might double-post, with apologies now just in case:-)

Technotiger 21:00 11 May 07

I thought this type of PCA Server message was to be a 'thing of the past' but obviously not!

Enoch 21:03 11 May 07

I do that on a regular basis. I have two folders in "My Documents" entitled "Stored emails" and "Current emails". I save some emails to one or the other folder. Normally I save emails containing any long term info that I want to store for an undetermined period into "Stored emails". Into "Current emails" I save emails that I have to deal with in the medium term.

I then check both folders in My Documents on weekly basis. This way I can delete/delete emails and leave my inbox relatively streamlined.

Hope this advice is useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…