SATA/RAID Drives for XP Installation

Gaz W 20:07 13 Apr 08

I've installed a new motherboard in a PC but it doesn't come with the appropriate drivers to use a SATA drive during the installation of XP Media Center Edition.

The motherboard is an Abit I-45C, which uses the Intel 945 chipset. I've looked on both the Abit and Intel sites, and although there are drivers like the ones on my Abit CD (Matrix Storage), these will not work!

Having borrowed a floppy drive from my Amstrad (as XP insists on a floppy disk rather than anything remotely modern), I created a disk with as much of the drivers I could fit on it.

The two reasons it won't work - the driver files are about 15MB so will not fit on a floppy, and if they could, it needs this stupid file called txtsetup.oem.

I know this is a text file, but I don't know where to get the correct drivers, and what to do with this file.

Anyone know something about this?

Thanks in advance,

Gaz

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 13 Apr 08

Have you tried to install without using the F6 option? some boards have drivers in the BIOS and as long as XP "can see" the drive it will install without having to install stat drivers at the F6 prompt.

Gaz W 20:33 13 Apr 08

Yes, unfortunately this is the first thing I tried.

Although it lists the hard drive, it is not recognised as anything, so I thought, driver time.

It usually has been the case with a lot of SATA boards I've had up until Vista.

woodchip 20:56 13 Apr 08

Raid, not a good idea

Gaz W 00:59 14 Apr 08

I am unbelievably stupid!

Very embarrassing error - forgot to plug the power connector into the hard drive! I've been moving it between PCs and one PSU uses the SATA type connector, while the other is using the old Molex connector.

Oh well, installed now.

By the way woodchip - wasn't meant to be RAID but the SATA and RAID drivers seem to come together.

Nothing wrong with RAID anyway - been running RAID 0 on my PC for ages :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…