SATA/IDE Drives advice needed.

k1n 18:56 20 Feb 05

right i need a little advice here people. :)

I have win xp installed on a 40GB IDE drive and a 60GB IDe drive for storage/backup. I have a free SATA port on my MSI KT400 M/B along with a few free IDe ports. I was thinking of purchasing a new SATA drive - using this for my O/S (as it is faster) and keeping the other two drives for backup/storage.

Is this setup possible? e.g. can i mix IDE/SATA drives. I have win xp pro sp2 also.

thanks for help in advance.

Rayuk 18:58 20 Feb 05

The quick answer is yes you can have the sata as your os drive and the pata as storage

Totally-braindead 19:05 20 Feb 05

There should be no problem and of course with the faster SATA drive you should see a difference in performance.

k1n 19:13 20 Feb 05

rayuk

whats the "long answer"? am i missing something?

keith-236785 21:32 20 Feb 05

no, you aint missing anything.

to setup sata you would need drivers for the sata drive and also it will need enabling in the bios.

all pretty simple stuff, the sata drivers will be on your motherboard driver cd. you just need to copy them to a floppy to install during the setup of windows xp. (my sata drivers on the mobo cd contain a prog which automatically creates the needed floppy disk). take a look at your motherboard cd readme files for Sata or Raid setup. (on my asrock mobo it is under Raid driver setup).

ps, i have 1 * 80 gig IDE which has winXP on it,dual booting with linux, and 1 * 80 gig SATA drive for backup. all work without problem.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced