SATA/EIDE COMPATABILITY

krall 16:33 25 Jul 03

Hi
I recently updated one of my PC's with a new ASUS A7N8X DELUXE mobo fitted with SATA controllers.As I require additional HDD capacity is it possible to add a SATA drive to work alongside the existing EIDE. I would also appreciate your thoughts on using a WINXP CD supplied with my Medion PC, which I intend to retain, to setup the ASUS.
I recall a recent posting on this subject (XP) by MAYBY66 where Q-BIE stated MEDION CD could be installed on anything and SEAHANTY not too sure this was the case. Most grateful for any help.

Steve- 17:10 25 Jul 03

I have done exactly this with the same board, using a 120G Maxtor SATA running alongside two IDE Drives, it all works fine except that the SATA Drivers think the drive should be part of a RAID setup and throw up an additional screen during the POST sequence, which adds a little delay.

krall 21:14 25 Jul 03

STEVE.
Many thanks for your response. I will now go ahead with your configuration. I will keep thread open in the hope i get response for the XP query.I apologise for not making contact earlier as I had to go out.

Chegs ® 21:35 25 Jul 03

I have 2 x SATA and an IDE drive,my problem is getting XP to install into the SATA drives....lol

krall 00:28 26 Jul 03

CHEGS.
My intention was to install XP on the IDE drive for the present, but eventually replace IDE drive with large capacity SATA. Your comment re problem with XP install on SATA drive has got me worried. Would the problem persist if say the IDE drives were disconnected.

Chegs ® 01:29 26 Jul 03

I have finally got XP Pro installed onto my SATA drives,it was simply an oversight in setting up in BIOS,once the correct Boot order had been sorted,it went in no problem.I didn't need to switch off the IDE drive,just set BIOS to 1st boot to SCSI.

krall 10:54 26 Jul 03

CHEGS
pleased to see you resolved the problem.I can now go ahead and order a SATA drive.many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac