Sata150 & Sata300

Joe R 17:26 10 Jun 06

I am just about to order a new mobo, and would like to know if my 2 x Maxtor sata150 drives will work all right with a board with sata2 or sata300 connectors.

I realise they will run at the lower speed, but am unsure if these connections are backwards compatable.

Thanks & regards Joe.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:30 10 Jun 06

No problem, they will just work.

Joe R 17:36 10 Jun 06

Mr Mistoffelees,

Thank you, I was almost certain of this, but just wanted some reassurance before ordering.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 10 Jun 06

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:30 10 Jun 06

This from western Digital:-

click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…