SATA with win 98

Drifter 23:41 10 Apr 05

I've just built a PC for my girlfriend, and opted for a SATA HDD, The MoBo supports SATA, but I can't get the win 98 boot disk to format the SATA. I have put the CD ROM on Primary master & the CDRW as secondary master. Am I asking the impossible considering the age of win98?
Thanks in advance,

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:47 10 Apr 05

SATA drives can be used on W98 but the SE version only.

TomJerry 23:47 10 Apr 05

I only have experience with 2k and XP.

when I boot up from setup it, it ask for press F6 key if I want sata support and then it ask for driver in floppy

do not if this info help you

Drifter 23:55 10 Apr 05

It is 98se I,m using but the boot disk does not get any further than " Verifying DMI Pool Data"

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:59 10 Apr 05

click here has a checklist...either that or the disk is knackered;-))).

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:00 11 Apr 05
  dan11 00:01 11 Apr 05

Yes they are fine for 98se.

Have you set it up in the bios. Select SATA or SCSI > SATA as second boot, floppy first boot.

Make sure it is detected in the bios. Use your win98 boot disk if you wish to fdisk ( size limitations) and then format.

Depending on the make of the SATA drive, you can download tools for it. click here

Drifter 00:10 11 Apr 05

I just tried booting from the Win98 Disc and it all went ahead, formated 40g in 15 sec and is loading win98 as we speak, will let you know if it installs OK. Gandalf, will check out your links in a few mins, or tomorrow morning. Thanks all

Drifter 00:36 11 Apr 05

All went well, installed OK. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…