SATA -v- PATA DVD Drives

Furkin 20:57 09 Aug 09

Acer desktop T120 XP SP3. All IDE

I'm looking to change my DVD drive. After reading these pages, I'm probably going for a SONY item.
There are a number of them between £15 & £25 that seem to be awesome.
From that point, the price goes up sharply,,,, but I can't see why ! A lot of the stuff (on paper) dosn't look any better or faster than the cheaper items.
What am I missing there ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been looking on the SCAN site & read their PATA v SATA page. It looks (to me) that I can add SATA items to my IDE machine, just by using adaper cables.
Am I reading that right ?
If so, will I get the SATA features (speed) etc, or will it be a waste of time ?

thanks for reading.

GaT7 21:30 09 Aug 09

Those adapter/cables aren't very good - e.g. click here. I haven't had much success with them either (purchased from DealExtreme - hides in shame).

You might be better off getting a PCI card with SATA ports on them, e.g. click here or equivalent product. G

Furkin 23:44 09 Aug 09

Thanks again G,
1/ I note that the link states "removes master & slave set-up". I do have another DVD drive installed. Does that mean I can only use one ?
If so, i'll stick to IDE.

2/ With my machine only being set up for PATA, would I get the faster speeds associated with SATA, or would it be bottlenecked by my system ?

3/ Would I be able to run HDD's from the same card ?
I have two IDE at the moment and would like to add something bigger soon,,,, it would be nice to be able to consider SATA ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the info on Sony items (previous post). It made my mind up to go with tne brand,,,, am still looking at the different models though.

cheers

Baz

woodchip 23:56 09 Aug 09

Your Motherboard and OS needs to support SATA

Strawballs 00:06 10 Aug 09

With Sata you can install more than one because each one uses a different socket

Furkin 00:16 10 Aug 09

Thanks guys,
Not sure about my m/board.

For the time being, i'd better stick to IDE item - it'll be a straight swap.

I'll look into SATA when I decide to go for a bigger HDD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any comments on:
"There are a number of them between £15 & £25 that seem to be awesome.
From that point, the price goes up sharply,,,, but I can't see why ! A lot of the stuff (on paper) dosn't look any better or faster than the cheaper items.
What am I missing there ?"

cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant