Sata v IDE

Terry Brown 10:48 27 Feb 08

I am thinking of replacing a hard drive (more space required), What is the difference between Sata and IDE in performance and reliability. I currently have all IDE drives but have Sata 2 slots on board.

Are the SATA drives the same physical size as a standard IDE drive (will they fit in the same slot).
Terry

tigertop2 11:18 27 Feb 08

Sata drives are faster than Eide. Eide drives can run at up to 133 MB/sec. Sata drive speeds start at 150MB/sec . Sizes are the same and reliability is not an issue . You should go for Sata ---and-the cable connectors are thin and easily tidied away are.

Terry Brown 11:21 27 Feb 08

thank you
Tigertop2

Terry

interzone55 11:34 27 Feb 08

To be honest, you will not notice much in the way of speed increase when going for SATA drives, because the highest data throughput you're likely to get is about 60-80MB/sec, but like tigertop2 says, SATA cables are neater.

Also there are less & less IDE drives around, so by going for SATA you will "future-proof" your system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:04 27 Feb 08

Just check your PSU has power cables to suit the sata drives if not you can get adaptor cables.

Terry Brown 16:14 27 Feb 08

Fruit bat
I have the 16 way power socket and a 4 way plug, both connected to the motherboard. Will I need any other cables ?.
Terry

tigertop2 17:07 27 Feb 08

You will need a '4 pin molex to Sata' power connector but you should get one with your hard drive--best to check first though. The molex links to an existing molex power 4 pin supply off your power supply and the other end neatly plugs into your Sata power drive--dead simple when you see it .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 27 Feb 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…