SATA Trouble

arch2571 18:02 30 Jan 05

I recently brought a Maxtor 9+ 80GB hard disk drive. Unfortunatly i brought it without any software or anything. I know i need to format and partition my SATA disk so i can install Windows 2000 and use my system, but when i tried to install Windows well i guessed that i do need software, anyway my motherboard is a MSI KT6V which has an onboard SATA controller. I just need to know what i need to do to get my disk working.

spikeychris 18:15 30 Jan 05

Why did you not get a bootdisk with the driver for the SATA adapter?

This will allow you to Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers at the installation.

mattyc_92 18:30 30 Jan 05

Put your installation disk into the computer for the motherboard and find the SATA drivers needed for installation (copy to a floppy disk)...

Then boot from the Win2k installation disk and look out for the "Press F6" option and press F6 and allow the setup to carry on loading the hardware... then when it has press enter, s, enter (remember to insert the floppy disk into the drive before doing this)... Then it will then start loading up even more hardware divices and then alloow you to install upon the SATA drive

bazb 18:39 30 Jan 05

Try Maxblast 3 from click here, also this may help click here.

mattyc_92 18:42 30 Jan 05

That wont make a difference if Setup can't find the drive (I relise that arch2571 hasn't said that the drive isn't listed, but that is normally the problem when installing onto a SATA drive)

arch2571 19:39 30 Jan 05

Are you saying that i need the floppy disc that came with the motherboard (Spikeychris) not the actual disc that SHOULD have come with the SATA disc. Because the adapter is onboard with my motherboard but the thing is that when i try to boot the SATA disc my motherboard does actually detect my disc is just that setup for Windows 2K doesn't.

mattyc_92 19:50 30 Jan 05

The drivers are on the CD disk that came with your motherboard... Just find them and copy and paste them onto a floppy disk....

I think that Spikeychris thought that you had a controller (not part of motherboard)

arch2571 20:04 30 Jan 05

i got both a CD and a floppy with my motherboard which one??

spikeychris 20:19 30 Jan 05

mattyc_92 is right, I was running with the controller. Just explore the CD and FD to find the driver.

pickle factory 20:47 30 Jan 05

I've just put WD120Gb SATA in my new rig, had to tell BIOS to look for SCSI drive in order for it to find the SATA. Might be worth considering.

mattyc_92 20:58 30 Jan 05

Look for the files on the floppy disk first... You should have Driver.sys, Driver.mpd, Driver.inf + a few more (the files may not be called "Driver...." you may find that they are named somthing like "si3115...." They wont all have the same name either)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…