SATA Question

Shatter25 13:15 16 Aug 07

Ive always built my own computers and havent built one in 4 years. This week I purchased all new parts and will be assembling it this weekend. My question is this. I have always used IDE to connect my hard drives and CD burners/readers. Typical setup I used is one cable with master as HD, slave as CD plugged into the IDE on the mobo. With my new setup I have a board with 1 IDE, and multiple SATA connectors. My new DVD player is SATA, but I plan to use my old HD which is IDE. So will I have problems if I plug the HD into the IDE on the MOBO while the DVD player is plugged in using SATA? Im not sure as I am new to the SATA thing. I know I could setup raid arrays if I had multiple HD's which I do not, it will just be one HD and one DVD player. If Im using SATA for the DVD reader does the HD have to be SATA as well? Should I expect issues with this setup? Thx

brundle 13:55 16 Aug 07

IDE support is provided by a JMicron chip on the latest boards - you need to put the IDE drivers for your particular chip on a floppy and hit F6 during XP 's installation to load them so the IDE drive(s) are recognised. click here

The SATA drive will be picked up automatically, the two interfaces can be used at the same time. I read plenty on this subject before I built my new system last week, but I have a SATA HD anyway so didn't encounter any complications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now