SATA probmem in XP

Catastrophe 09:46 11 May 06

I have an XP system with 2 IDE HDDs C: and E/F/G. D is a DVD drive.

I have installed additionally two SATA HDDs using a SATA PCI card.

I am not too familiar with XP as I am still running 98SE on another machine. The SATA drives do not show up in Explorer but are seen in Computer Management. At least they are not seen at the top but appear with a red disk and white bar below as Disk 2 (ditto 3) unallocated Unknown 37.27GB.

I right click on each drive but only see properties with nothing like FORMAT or INSTALL.

Any pointers gratefully received.

:)

Catastrophe 10:59 11 May 06

OK I have found the partitioning stuff which I understand from using Partition Magic.

However it is formatting NTFSwhereas I usually use FAT32. There does not appear to be a FAT32 option. Might this cause problems?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:06 11 May 06

Do you have the option in disk management to "Initialise" the disks?

Catastrophe 12:19 11 May 06

Fruit Bat

Yes. Then create a partition and then format.

I understand FAT32 and NTFS are not fully compatible so would like to standardise everything on FAT32. Perhaps I could use a start-up disk and go from there? Perhaps there is a better way?

Catastrophe 12:22 11 May 06

I googled
FAT32 NTFS compat
and found:

"Any NTFS-formatted volumes won't available to any Windows Me or Win9x OSs ..."

So as I am using W98 on other machines I need to format the SATAs FAT32.

Thanks for your reply.

Catastrophe 12:54 11 May 06

A further google turned up:

"Windows XP won't let you format any drives bigger than 32GB with the FAT32 filesystem"

So I am making two 20GB partitions on each drive and the FAT32 option has returned.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:24 11 May 06

Cannot understand why you need Fat32.

if the drives are internal and you have XP on the PC and are NOT dual booting Win me/98 than HTFS is a lot better.

NTFS saves space as is more stable than Fat32.

uisquebeathus 13:29 11 May 06

the drivers for SATA must be installed during the windows xp set up and cannot be installed correctly any other way.
if you know how to do a repair installation at the early part you are asked if you wish to install any supplimentary drivers such as SCSIat this point the SATA drivers should be installed as well.

A repair installation with the correct drivers should fix the problems you are having.

Catastrophe 00:46 12 May 06

I am not having a problem any more.

I have several PCs some on 98SE some on XP home or pro. They all need to communicate. Therefore they are all on FAT32. See above.

;)

And repair works on 98SE?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…