SATA plugs and sockets on PC

BBW 19:56 20 Oct 10

I am upgrading my PC. New Motherboard, Graphics card,new SATA DVD drive, etc. I purchased some Molex to SATA voltage adaptors. I notice the only SATA voltage source on the Power Supply has one SATA plug. It has 5 wires going to it. The molex adaptors have only 4! the difference is an orange wire, 3volts. I had a problem setting up the SATA Hard drive, using the 4 pin Molex, when I changed it over to the 5 pin from the power supply all was OK. The SATA DVD is using the adaptor and is OK.
Question is; do SATA drives require a 5 pin voltage source.
Many thanks for your help.
Brian

Nontek 20:06 20 Oct 10

Adapters that can convert a 4-pin Molex connector to a SATA power connector exist. However, because the 4-pin Molex connectors do not provide 3.3 V power, these adapters provide only 5 V and 12 V power and leave the 3.3 V lines unconnected. This precludes the use of such adapters with drives that require 3.3 V power. Some 4-pin Molex to SATA power connectors have electronics included in the connector to also provide the 3.3 V power. Understanding this, drive manufacturers have largely left the 3.3 V power lines unused.

Above is an extract from ... click here

BBW 09:07 21 Oct 10

Mnay thanks Nontek, I too found that on the internet. I still wonder whether a SATA drive requires the extra 3.3 volts source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now